Concerned About Your Teen’s Mental Health?
Source: The JED Foundation
Resource Type: Documents and Print Media
This guide is meant to help parents and families who are concerned about their teen’s mental health and emotional well-being have important conversations with their child. Although parents often pick up on concerning signs that their teen is struggling, not everyone feels well-equipped to approach their child to have a conversation about how they are feeling. Knowing what to do after the conversation, especially if the child has expressed something concerning, is not always obvious.
This guide covers the following topics:
- Signs that your teen may be struggling
- Preparing yourself emotionally to have the conversation
- What to say and do during the conversation
- What to do if your teen denies a problem or refuses help but you are still concerned
- How to follow up after the conversation